Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Love at First Read

In honor of the tenth anniversary of the release of Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts I proudly present the (pretty much chronological) list of Fictional Men Who Have Stolen My Heart: The Literary Edition

Almanzo Wilder (The Little House series)- Almanzo's way with horses and his ox team appealed to my 6 year old heart. As I got older it was his kindness and ruggedness that won me over even more.

Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables series)- Oh Gilbert, even at the age of 7 I understood your devotion to Anne and I knew it would pay off in the end! Full disclosure I still think that Anne of the Island is one of the most romantic and heartwrenching books of all time. I've read my way through three separate copies. Because I saw the Sullivan Film's version of Anne of Green Gables right around the same time I first started reading the books Gilbert will always look like this in my mind:

Image thanks to Google image search and astarinabox.xanga.com



Calvin O'Keefe (Wrinkle in Time - Swoon. He's smart, he's caring, he's vulnerable. He likes Meg for exactly who she is and he tells her she has dreamboat eyes. Who could ask for more? Though I think Gregory Smith is absolutely 100% attractive he was no Calvin O' Keefe! In my mind that honor always goes to a young Eric Stoltz.

Marcus Flutie (Sloppy Firsts - Marcus Flutie, winning girl's hearts over for ten years now, so that every single one of them is looking for her Marcus Flutie in real life. I'm not sure he can exist in real life, but if I met a guy who had 2/10ths of Marcus' raw appeal I would try my damndest to make him mine.

Simon Lewis (Mortal Instruments series)-So I have a thing for guys who suffer from unrequited love, so sue me ... especially when they also like music and are sarcastically funny. Funny enough, when I fist started reading this series as soon as I read Simon I pictured him as being Jamie Andrews from Instant Star. Together these characters are my ideal guy, and it seems I wasn't alone in thinking Kristopher Turner as Jamie would make a damn good Simon! If you Google image search "Simon Mortal Instruments" most of the pictures that come back are of Kristopher Turner. See?
Image from Google image Search



Eric Northman (Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Books)- Team Bill whatever! From Book 1 I have been a Viking Vampire Girl! It goes beyond the Viking hotness though, I swear. From his very first appearance I feel that Eric has always genuinely understood Sookie better. The hotness is just an added bonus ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment