Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve Memories


Around the age of seven I developed insomnia. This insomnia became especially unbearable on Christmas Eve. Since my parents already saw 5:30 am as a Christmas morning wake up time as pushing it (there is video proof of us waking up at 1:30 am in 1983), I needed to find things to do to keep myself occupied. Luckily I learned to read very early on and come 1988 or 1989 I had access to the Disney Channel.

Some of you may remember a time when The Disney Channel actually used to show a balanced mix of TV programming. In the morning there was kid shows like Dumbo's Circus and Mouse Factory, then in the afternoon there was Kid's Incorporated and The Mickey Mouse Club. In the early evening there was family programming like Avonlea and various Disney Channel movies. After that there was Disney Night Time (and later on Vault Disney, but that's another entry entirely). Disney Night Time was chock full of concerts, Conversations with Carol Burnett and Conversations with Bob Hope, and old movies. On Christmas Eve they would play Christmas programming all night long. I remember year after year being wide away and watching

It's a Wonderful Life


The Bishop's Wife




The Judy Garland Christmas Show




and

Best of Bing Crosby Family Christmas Specials



Now thanks to YouTube and my DVD collection I can see these videos again!

Nowadays I spend part of Christmas Eve day watching

Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas




Jim Henson's Christmas Toy


Muppet Family Christmas


and

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street



It's funny how when I was little I would watch the adult programming and now as an adult I spend Christmas Eve watching the kid's programming!

No comments:

Post a Comment