Saturday, March 5, 2011

Make Believe or Denial? It's a Fine Line.

I have nine days left until my Capstone project is due and grad school is over, and yes I am nowhere near done. Once I get my diploma I will have two new letters to list on my resume, an additional S41,000 in student loan debt, and absolutely no job prospects. This alone is scary enough, but it joins the jumble of work stress, family stress, and money woes, and enough has finally been enough this week. Fortunately Netflix is trying to distract me. Flipped arrived yesterday.

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draannen is one of the best books I ever read while running the Children's and YA section of a bookstore. Sometimes when you work at a bookstore if you see a book on enough lists you decide you will never read it (see Eat, Pray, Love). Fortunately repeatedly looking at those fuzzy chicks didn't put me off like it did one of my friends. The story is sweet, simple yet complex, and timeless all wrapped into one. It never fails to make me cry and feel hopeful at the same time, because I choose to believe that the ambiguous future ends brightly for Bryce and Juli, probably because I want to believe that the magic of falling in love for the first time can sometimes end happily. Imagine my surprise when I found out last year that Rob Reiner had turned it into a movie! Imagine my dismay when I found out that Flipped wasn't being released anywhere near my area!!

Time got away from me and Flipped came out on video. I put it on my Netflix list, but it kept getting lost in the jumble of other releases that were added to the queue. Until yesterday ...

As I type this the movie is quickly coming to an end. I still do not know if Rob Reiner added a more definite ending to the story, but right now I can definitely say the story is still magical. I'm just left wondering how fine is the line between make believe and denial really?

No comments:

Post a Comment